Jamaica Information Service (JIS) published an article on December 3, 2019, about a National Cyber Policy being developed to protect citizens
“Jamaica’s aim to protect its citizens from the evolving threats of cybercrime.” The government is working towards developing a National Cyber Policy in 2020.
- The Minister of Security vision is to ensure that the governing bodies in Jamaica have a reliable and robust cyber platform on which to deliver quality and safe online services.
- There will be an update to the National Identification Systems (NIDS) Bill to further strengthen Jamaica’s Cybersecurity framework. Currently, the Bill only facilitates Information and Communication Technology (ICT), but the update Bill will support the Multilayed technology security system to help mitigate against vulnerabilities in cybercrime activities.
- Alongside the NIDS Bill, the Data Protection Bill is as equally important. Data protection from cyber threats is crucial to the infrastructure of any governing system.
- With partnerships like between Jamaica Cyber-Incident Response Team (CIRT) and the Organization of American States (OAS) Inter-American Committee against Terrorism (CICTE). Within these partnerships, the Minister said that Jamaica would be working towards security information and event management (SEIM) network. A SEIM is a subsection within the field of computer security, where software products and services combine security information management and security event management.
- With the SEIM network, it will allow a more robust approach to combatting cybercrimes and strengthening its cooperation between its partnerships and in turn, improving cyber resilience.
- Criminals are ahead of the game when performing these cybercrimes. As security professionals, it is imperative to keep up to date with the new tactics so that we can respond in a commensurate manner.
Contributed by: Daval Gregory from Jamaica. Daval is a member of the CCST Discord group from the G5 Cyber Security Foundation Ltd. Learn more about CCST (Caribbean Cyber Support Team) by visiting caribbeancst.org. CCST is a collaborative group on the Discord platform for Caribbean people in IT, from beginners to experts.