Guyana Chronicle published an article on March 8th, 2019, about Guyana’s Cybersecurity response team being fully operational.
Minister of Public Telecommunications, Cathy Hughes of Guyana said that the National Cybersecurity Incident Response Team (NCIRT) is fully operational in direct response to accusations of the NCIRT being disbanded by the Partnership for National Unity and Alliance for Change (APNU + AFC) Government.
- Minister Hughes said that the accusations of the NCIRT being disbanded by the APNU + AFC Government is far from the truth of what they are doing.
- This statement against the APNU + AFC Government was an apparent attempt to discourage citizens of Guyana from using the government’s internet-enabled services.
- The Ministry of Telecommunications has anticipated that there will be an increase of threats given the widespread online presence the Ministry has supplied and installed.
- The minister has since informed the public that the NCIRT is continuing its mandate under the Cybersecurity Division of the National Data Management Authority (NDMA).
- The NCIRT will work on publishing Cybersecurity advisories to keep citizens updated and while responding to Cybersecurity incidents within the public sector. Guyana’s NCIRT can be reached on their website, (https://cirt.gy), and emailed at [email protected] and their hotline number (592)-231-6860.
- The Ministry is implementing a Cybersecurity Situational Awareness Programme to bring awareness to public sector employees while developing a cybersecurity incident reporting system to enable government agencies to report cybersecurity incidents.
- With these measures, the government will adequately assess and monitor Guyana’s cyber-threat landscape, Minister Hughes stated.
Contributed by: Jason Jacobs from Guyana. Jason is a member of the CCST Discord group from the G5 Cyber Security Foundation Ltd. Learn more about CCST (Caribbean Cyber Support Team) by visiting caribbeancst.org. CCST is a collaborative group on the Discord platform for Caribbean people in IT, from beginners to experts.