HSR.health published Hackers of the Caribbean on March 30, 2017, about Cybersecurity, Electronic Health Records, Health Data, Medical Device Security.
As the issues of cybercrimes and cyberthreats become more known in the Caribbean, countries have been taking steps towards fortifying the vulnerabilities which exist in many systems. The Government of Belize hosted a symposium to discuss the concerns to threats against healthcare as well as taking steps to modernize countries in this new digital era.
- The Belize National Cyber Security Symposium hosted by the Belize Public Utilities Commission on behalf of the Government of Belize displaying extended awareness of the cyber safety threats and vulnerabilities within the Caribbean nation in addition to building resilience in opposition to cyberthreats.
- In keeping with the modernizing of infrastructure, processes, as well as the delivery of government services. The symposium focused on opportunities that a greater digital footprint can bring to Belize and its people as well as discussing actionable strategies for solving challenges, including the cybersecurity challenges, in making the transition to new more modern and secure systems.
- The conference was a part of the evolution of Cybersecurity in the Caribbean. Taking action based on the groundwork laid by international organizations such as the Organization of American States (OAS) who produced an in-depth report in 2016 on Cybersecurity.
- Attendance to the Symposium was expected from Belize, throughout the Caribbean, and entities within the United States. This includes business affiliates who have both interest and ties to the Caribbean currently and in the foreseeable future.
- heath’s involvement reflected both a global understanding that healthcare is a part of a nation’s critical infrastructure and a target of cyber compromise, as well as a growing recognition of their cybersecurity expertise and leadership role in affecting healthcare technology policy here and abroad.
Contributed by: Kyle Sterling from Jamaica. Kyle is a member of the CCST Discord group from the G5 Cyber Security Foundation Ltd. Learn more about CCST (Caribbean Cyber Support Team) by visiting caribbeancst.org. CCST is a collaborative group on the Discord platform for Caribbean people in IT, from beginners to experts.