The Mona School of Business and Management Jamaica published a document from the Caribbean Cyber Security Center on October 31, 2013, about Caribbean Cyber Security & Scams.
The Caribbean must change their mindset to how they are viewing technology and its uses on a daily basis. The must exercise vigilance concerning cyber scams and overall cybersecurity is essential.
- A framework has to be in place. Not only a framework but a Caribbean Centric Framework so that we are better able to assist and collaborate with our neighbouring countries.
- One of the main cyber threats in the Caribbean is “Skimming”. Skimming attack is mainly used by a device that’s connected to the ATM, which then reads the card while a camera records your PIN. After the device has been removed, it can be attached to a machine to get the data it has captured.
- The standards of our Cyber Security Awareness should be raised. There should be an obligation to defend both personal and professional status while eliminating the bureaucratic roadblocks. Which includes
- As a Caribbean body, we do not want to develop a compromise perspective of “Those that have been hacked and do not want to take the necessary steps in implementing effective technical, management and operations security control.
- As the Cyber Threats are evolving within the Caribbean, these are the few postures that we are in and/or needs to change:
- Little or No Real action and trying to solve the problem from the technological approach.
- The constant lag between implementing the CSRIT body across the region(LAC: Latin America & Caribbean).
The suggested cybersecurity roadmap for both Public and Prive Sectors is that we remember the first six letters of the alphabet.
A = Assess your assets
B = Build your policy framework
C = Choose your controls
D = Deployment of Security Controls
E = Education awareness of Cyber Security
F = Further assessment
Contributed by: Daval Gregory from Jamaica. Daval is a member of the CCST Discord group from the G5 Cyber Security Foundation Ltd. Learn more about CCST (Caribbean Cyber Support Team) by visiting caribbeancst.org. CCST is a collaborative group on the Discord platform for Caribbean people in IT, from beginners to experts.