MOCA published Article on July 3, 2019 about cyber thieves run rampant-Jamaica suffering billions in losses from online crime. MOCA means Major Organised Crime and Anti-Corruption Agency. Here’s a quick summary just for you.
In 2016, Jamaica lost more than 12 billion dollars to cyber crime.
- Edwards says that cyber-crime is a new frontier of crime.
- Long established, where the focus was on physical borders to protect. He expressed that, once there is an internet, you can be anywhere in the world.
- He believes that 12 billion is an underestimate and that many attacks are swept under the mat to protect businesses reputation.
- Bank of Jamaica made a report in 2018, which states that 62ncounts of fraud was reported with a total loss of 38.2 million between January and September.
- At least two attacks occur each month with an average loss of 4 million.
- University of the west indies professor states that hackers are now being given key roles in gangs.
- He also expressed that it is now easier to get into with criminals being younger that before.
Contributed by: Tahjay K. Thompson from Jamaica.