PrivSec Report published an article on December 5, 2019 authored by Meera Narendra, about the development of a National Cyber Security Policy in Jamaica. Here’s a quick summary just for you.
Jamaica has announced plans to work on the implementation of a National Cyber Strategy in 2020. Speaking at the Latin America and Caribbean Cyber Security and Cybercrime Workshop at Hilton Resort and Spa in St. James, Jamaica’s Minister of National Security, Dr. Horace Chang said that the policy will help protect citizens from cybercrime.
- Chang stated that the initiative will also aim to ensure that the entire government service has a stable and efficient cyber network on which to function and provide quality and secure online services.
- The network will be accomplished through the work of a range of agencies such as e-Gov Jamaica and the National Cyber Security Strategy.
- The minister addressed how the National Identification System (NIDS) Bill would further improve Jamaica’s cyber security framework and help the “modernization of our information and communications technology (ICT) infrastructure” and promote the introduction of a multi-layer technology security system.
- Chang highlighted the importance of maintaining strategic partnerships to identify, analyze, and evaluate cyber threats.
- Collaboration between the Jamaican Cyber-Incident Response Team (CIRT) and the Organization of American States (OAS) Inter-American Committee against Terrorism (CICTE) was discussed by the Minister.
- Chang urged the countries of the region to engage actively in efforts to counter transnational organized crime and to enhance collaboration and cooperation in order to protect national and regional properties and interests effectively.
Contributed by: Sabrina Shim from Jamaica. Sabrina is a member of the WISC Discord group from the G5 Cyber Security Foundation Ltd. Learn more about WISC (Women in InfoSec Caribbean) at wiscaribbean.org. WISC is a non-profit initiative supporting Caribbean women and girls to develop a career in Information Security.