Mark Lyndersay published an article on November 5, 2020 titled “The cyber security threat”
This article speaks about the different ransomware that has occurred in Trinidad and Tobago and best practices to implement to combat against ransomware attacks.
Key points from this article:
- Representatives declined to discuss or even officially acknowledge the ransomware incident that occurred in June
- TechNewsTT is a super niche in this country, a blip in the wider Internet, barely noticeable by traffic, but hackers do not care about that, they care about vulnerabilities.
- In October alone, defensive software blocked 84 attempts to log into my site from Pakistan and 75 from the Czech Republic, using dictionary attacks.
- Reporting cybercrimes is not required under either law, and it’s estimated that internationally, less than 28 per cent of these crimes are reported to policy.
- Pro tips were provided by Andre Thompson of the best ways to combat a ransom attack
Contributed by Siobhan Wilson from Jamaica. Siobhan is a member of our Women in InfoSec Caribbean (WISC) initiative on Discord. WISC is a non-profit initiative supporting Caribbean women and girls to develop a career in Information Security.
If you’re from a Caribbean woman or girl, learn more and join the group by visiting wiscaribbean.org.