Bernews published an article on September 3, 2020, about Detective Superintendent Pedro on Cybercrime. Here’s a summary:
- Detective Superintendent Nicholas Pedro, OIC Serious Crime Division, delivered the opening speech at a Cybercrime Seminar.
- At the seminar, he stated that the gathering was to discuss challenges, weaknesses, and opportunities as a result of recent developments that prompted the seminar.
- As new economic opportunities with virtual currencies, risk factors with the money laundering risks, reputational risks for the jurisdiction, and potential low credit ratings will be broached if the ability to investigate allegations is not maintained.
- An investment in a strong but small team of digital forensic investigators who possess the skills necessary to deal with most levels of digital crime alongside expertise from the U.K National Crime Agency, the U.S Federal Bureau of Investigation, and also the Department of Homeland Security.
- As the Bermuda Police Service investigates all levels of crime and their continuous challenge is to get and maintain the necessary skill sets because the police are usually behind the criminals who implement new ways to implement crime. They look forward to working with colleagues on the highlighted issues and are pleased with the collaboration formed.
Contributed by Racquel Bailey from Jamaica. Racquel is a member of our Women in InfoSec Caribbean (WISC) initiative on Discord. WISC is a non-profit initiative supporting Caribbean women and girls to develop a career in Information Security. Learn more about WISC at wiscaribbean.org.