The Gleaner published an online article on December 18, 2020, about Little-Known SolarWinds Gets Scrutiny Over Hack, Stock Sales.
SolarWinds is a Texas-based software company specializing in computer network monitoring services to major corporations and government agencies.
- It has been revealed that elite cyberspies have been secretly exploiting SolarWinds software and peering into computer networks.
- The company began to alert its users, suspecting that this breach was caused by Russia uploading malicious codes into the updated version of Orion.
- FireEye was the first to notice this breech.
- The Department of Homeland Security has directed all federal agencies to remove all software that has been compromised.
- Democratic Senator Dick Durbin told CNN “This is virtually a declaration of war by Russia on the United States, and we should take that seriously”.
- The compromised product accounts for almost half of the company’s annual revenue.
- There has been a 23% decrease in its stocks at the beginning of the week. SolarWinds’s rating is on the verge of being downgraded.
- The breach began as early as March, customers would have unknowingly installed the updates which gave the intruders access to their corporate network.
Contributed by Kyle Sterling from Jamaica. Kyle is a member of our Caribbean Cyber Support Team (CCST) initiative on Discord. CCST is a collaborative group on the Discord platform for Caribbean people interested in IT, from beginners to experts.
If you’re from the Caribbean, learn more and join the group by visiting caribbeancst.org.