Virgin Islands Law Blog published an article on November 6, 2020, authored by Tom Bolt on how businesses can protect against data breaches. Here’s a summary:
Businesses that rely on the internet and digital technology for data storage and communication risk systems being compromised. To combat this, some tips on how to safeguard private data is as follows:
- Establish a culture of care- make digital security a priority in the company which includes awareness of certain aspects of security.
- Enforce strict data permissions- only provide access to information to persons who need it for their jobs.
- Encrypt data-sensitive information should be protected where it is stored for security purposes.
- Strengthen login protocols- consider using biometrics, one-time codes, security keys or multi-factor authentication for certain files and systems.
- Work with professionals – Seeing most business owners have no knowledge or training to take charge of digital security, employing a full-time digital security person would be beneficial.
Contributed by Racquel Bailey from Jamaica. Racquel is a member of our Women in InfoSec Caribbean (WISC) initiative on Discord. WISC is a non-profit initiative supporting Caribbean women and girls to develop a career in Information Security. Learn more about WISC at wiscaribbean.org.